Cleaning a carpet : we must follow 4 principles
Your chemical must be a dedicated carpet cleaning solution , and choose the correct one for the fiber construction of your carpet, wool carpets should no more than 5.5 ph , use up to 10.5 on heavily soiled polypropylene carpets
Helps distribute cleaning agents for maximum soil suspension and removal.
To use a cleaning solution without any agitation would require an increase in cleaning solution temperature, a stronger cleaning chemical and or more time
To use a cold cleaning solution would require an increase in agitation, chemical action and or time.
To minimize time to perform a cleaning task would require an increase in cleaning solution temperature, more agitation, and or a stronger cleaning product
When using this method , there is some points to follow.
Do not over wet , do not keep going over the same spot , as all you will do is soak the carpet and cause wick back.(Where a under lying stain returns through wicking)
Also put the correct dilution amounts of chemical into your spray , or severe re-soiling will happen
• yard brush
• Carpet solution
• A sprayer for your solution
• White vinegar (optional)
• A Carpet cleaning machine ie; Vax, Rug doctor, Bissell
The vinegar acts as a deodoriser and helps to extract all the detergent residue, and organic soiling.
It also softens the fibres whilst neutralizing and rinsing all detergent out of the carpet.
Leaving it cleaner and smelling fresher longer.
Steps to follow
1. vacuum your carpet well , do it north to south then west to east slowly , as up to 80% of dirt is dry organic soil
2. Spray your chosen Carpet cleaning chemical onto carpet at recommended dilution rate. it should be enough just to dampen the carpet fibres.
Do not be tempted to put more than the recommended amount as this can cause rapid resoling issues.
3. Agitate chemical well into the carpet with a stiff clean yard brush. give it a good scrub , but not to much as it could cause fibre damage to wool carpets
4. Leave for 15 to 25 minutes depending on soiling , don’t let it dry out though
5. put plain hot water(not boiling) in your machine. Add a dash of white vinegar about 10ml per litre .DO NOT put any cleaning chemical in your machine just vinegar and hot water, the vinegar smell will disappear in 10 to 15 minutes
7. Open windows and turn heating on if a wet or cold day.
Carpets should be dry in 2 to 4 hours .
You can help the drying process further by toweling the carpet , this works very well on stair carpeting as it stops wick back caused by very heavy soiling on the bottom 3 steps.
Nb we use Non detergent based products